Sunday, September 10, 2006

About Our Mission

Bella's Ninos was created in August 2006 to help the Madrid Morales children attend public school in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Chiapas, the capital city of the southernmost state in Mexico.

I'm an international teacher currently teaching at the
American School Foundation of Chiapas www.americanschool.com.mx. Ana Cecilia, Julio and Pablo come to my apartment building every Monday, Wednesday and Friday to drag people's garbage to the curb for pesos.

I began speaking with them after they asked if they could have a glass of water. When I found out they didn't attend school because they couldn't afford the 50 pesos ($5 US) per year entrance fee, I told them my roommate and I would pay and also buy the uniforms and school supplies necessary for the year.

That set into motion a series of events that included many friends and family members donating money for the cause. The plan is to continue helping not only the Madrid Morales children through high school, but also donate needed materials to the school and find other children who need help.

No comments: